Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sunday Evening...Bracing For Storm

Hurricane Sandy Could Threaten Indian Point
Last night I could not sleep, saw the Tsunami warning for Hawaii shortly after the 7.7 quake hit up in Canada...disconcerting, but my mind was already focused in on the Frankenstorm that has New York directly in its sites.  Waking up this morning, you could almost feel a sense of foreboding in the air, Hurricane Sandy's clouds blanketing the sky.
 
I was down in Yonkers, had to drive up to Peekskill and then cross the Bear Mountain bridge, the Hudson river just beneath me...even if you had not been near a radio or television, you knew something big was brewing...dozens of military Hummers pulling trailers of supplies and equipment crossing the bridge to make their way down toward New York City from West Point.
 
As I made the drive the news seemed to darken, Mayor Bloomberg enlarging the mandatory evacuation area, President Obama declaring a State of Emergency even though the storm has not yet made landfall.
 
I've laid in emergency supplies, and feel confident of making it through...sounds funny, but if things get bad I have toilet paper, water and Isagenix...my new age survival kit.  Wonder how long one could be OK in a State of Emergency like this with just my water and Isagenix.  I have other things prepared, candles at the ready, fresh batteries in the flashlights, my car battery jumper, and the batteries for my battery pack tools all plugged in and charging...cell phone charged, laptop plugged in and charging down.  Even without a back up generator, should be OK when the electric goes down, especially with lots of extra blankets at the ready.
 
What I worry about...the people who are not ready, or who have no choice but to go to the Emergency Shelters of last resort...it is scary to think about New York City shutting down all of its mass transit systems, scary to think that the Nuclear Power Plant (Indian Point) which  already feel is dangerous could get flooded if the storm surge is significant enough...Fukishima on the Hudson.  It is worrisome to think that the Emergency Response after the storm could decide who sits in the White House.
 
In short, am pensive tonight, and just pray that even in the states about to be slammed by Hurricane Sandy weather the storm, and find out afterward that they escaped pretty much intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment