Monday, October 1, 2012

Why I Have Chosen Isagenix

Old Train, New Direction
Sad, depressed, lethargic, overweight, lost...all adjectives that I could use in honestly accessing my own physical self, mental and emotional state of mind.  As they say, life happens, and with that life comes everyone's share of ups and downs, good times and bad.  Without realizing it we get stuck in a rut, and once there we seem at times incapable of getting out of it, mostly because we are guilty of "Stinky Thinking".  I can list a litany of reasons (excuses?) for the why and where of this rut and how I found myself in it, but when that list is carefully reviewed, it still comes down to one basic fact...it was and is my fault that I am in a rut, and it is going to take my own proactive efforts to get me to where I want to be physically, spiritually and emotionally.

I know I have to lose weight, have needed to lose that weight for some years now.   But, that weight had been put on slowly over a course of years, my waist expanding from a 28 to a 32, then a 34, and now at the age of almost 57 stretching a 38 to capacity, I had allowed myself to be blind to what everyone else saw until some people lacking in tact starting making comments that hurt. 

"Gee Sherwood, you need to lose some weight, you look like you are carrying twins."

Those kinds of remarks hurt, but it seemed easier to use an excuse such as, "It's been a lot harder to lose weight since I had my gallbladder taken out."

A true remark to some degree, but being truthful, I'd lost the motivation and perhaps the will to slim down and look my best.  As you get older, even those in the best of circumstances get hit with disappointments and losses that affect who we are.  The passing of a mother or close friend, a lost job, personal injuries that see your career and self identity gone, a wife, relative or close friend stricken with cancer, some of them no longer with us.    These emotional moments take their toll, and over time without realizing it, at least in my case, some of that zest for life just fades away, and with it a certain level of self confidence as we go from thinking ourselves immortal to realizing that we are mortal, and that with each passing day our time on this earth is growing shorter.

In this rut, my attitude in a funk, kismet as is always the case stepped in...or perhaps this time around I heard that knock on the door and was willing to let someone in.  I met someone who has made some dramatic changes in her life, someone who credits Isagenix with saving her life...hard to argue with that kind of assessment when the person you are speaking too has lost 130 pounds in her own journey to find or perhaps rediscover herself.

Without boring the reader to tears with all the minute details of that meeting (a story better told at a later time in another post) her words, her sharing of her own journey made me realize that my issues, my own weight loss needs were not near as insurmountable as I had been thinking they were.  There was no hard sell, no pressure to join Isagenix or try their products...there was just a sharing of her own truth and how Isagenix had changed her life.  Her words rang true, struck a heart cord that suddenly saw me waking up to a very simple truth...if I wanted change, if I wanted to be a healthier happier person, I had to want to take that first step.

Oh those old voices were singing their own chorus..."You can't afford it"..."diets don't work",,,"people get heavier as they get older, it is just a fact of life"...I knew these voices, but also recognized that other voice, that voice that had been silent for far to long, that voice that spoke of dreams, aspirations and believed always that there were better days ahead.   The discussion was intense as the two sides of me weighed in with differing arguments.

"You can't afford it."

"My Droid 4 cost me $400 dollars, surely my health is worth as much as my cell phone?"

"Diets don't work!"

"True, I've tried a few over the years, but this was not a diet, it was a super food."

"People get heavier as they get older, it is just a fact of life."

"No, I got fatter because I indulged myself more often that I should have, stopped exercising, and over time the pounds just piled on...that is a fact of life."

In the end, the answer was simple.  The 30-40 extra pounds that I am carrying around are hurting me, and taking a toll on my own self confidence even if I try to hide that fact from those around me.  I was and am where I am at because I allowed myself to be there, even if I have some good excuses to fall back on.  Lastly, as my sponsor (who had herself lost 130 pounds), the choice was pretty simple.

Chocolate or Vanilla...for the record, I chose two of each for my first order as a brand new Isagenix Associate.

No comments:

Post a Comment